Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

Swinney double helps secure 3 pts

Duns FC played host to Biggar today at New Hawthorn park and started the liveliest of the two sides.

With Biggar struggling to get to grips with Duns’s waves of a attack’s early on it wasn’t long before some good link up play from the returning captain Sean Robertson & in form Ross Hutchison led to The Dingers opening the scoring in the 27th minute with an impressive finish by young Kieran Swinney cutting in from the left hand side of midfield.

Duns kept a high tempo creating various chances but were unable to capitalise although coming close on a few occasions. With Anderson in the Duns goal yet to be tested thanks to some solid defending from Sean Spoor and Liam Horne, Duns continued to control the midfield with Stuart Liddell along with Dylan Patterson and Player manager Brydon showing their dominance.

Duns full back Liam Demarco continued to have success down the left and some neat play from him allowed him play in Hutchison who cleverly turned the defender only to be brought down before he was able to get his shot away leaving the Ref no chance but to award Duns with a penalty 38 mins in. Keiran Swinney stepped up and slotted the ball calmly past the Biggar Goalkeeper to put Duns 2 up going into half time.

Biggar started the second half brightly capitalising on a loose pass to catch Duns on the break, a good cross to the back post seen a header aimed back across the goal leave Anderson no chance.

Duns then made some changes with Mo Ponton replacing Brydon and Fraser Bunyan replacing Swinney. 8 mins after the Biggar goal, Sean Robertson latched on to a through ball to be 1 on 1 with the keeper and finished well into the corner of the net. Duns again began to control the game pinning Biggar into their own half. Mo Ponton began to work his magic and managed to play through Ewan Feeney only to see his spectacular 25 yard effort rebound off the cross bar.

Further changes from Duns seen the introduction of Billy Short, Euan Taylor & Jamie Lackenby. The fresh legs were an unwelcome sight to the tiring Biggar side. With some silky skills from Taylor down the left, space opened up to allow Billy Short to play a lovely ball to the back post where Lackenby was waiting to slot home Duns 4th of the afternoon. Biggar had a chance in the closing minutes but some superb goalkeeping from Anderson meant Duns finished 4-1 winners.

An encouraging 9 points from a possible 12 for Duns so far in the league campaign, with a tough trip to Newtown next Saturday next on the agenda!