Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

Hawick Royal Albert 2-1 Duns

On a bitterly cold evening in Hawick the Dingers showed a much improved performance despite losing by the odd goal in three. Unfortunately with some in attendance still making their way out of the cafe and bar and only 3 minutes on the clock the first goal was registered, for the home side, with James McPartland slotting home a through ball although some thought there may have been a hint of off side, although the ref was not one of them.

Ten minutes later Michael Robinson picked up the ball and drove towards the Albert goal unleashing a shot 20 yards out, and with some in the away support already aclaiming the goal, the ball thundered ball of the upright. Duns keep play on the front foot with Jordan Lauder connecting with the ball in the six yard box only to see his effort held by the home keeper. Right back down the other end and a ball floated into the Duns box taken by the Hawick forward who had to put the ball away into the gaping net, but, somehow put it wide.

With 17 minutes gone the Dingers restored parity. Junior Pattenden showing not inconsiderable skill beat the defender crossing right into the six yard box where the waiting Michael Robinson with accurate efficiency done what he does so well and scored.  Keeping up the momentum Duns pressed forward with Steven McHoul heading on from a corner for Jordan Lauder to shot with the home keeper saving.

Just after the half hour Leigh Walker tangled with a defender with the referee deeming the action illegal and pointing to the spot. The Albert number 11 put the ball to Robertsons left restoring their lead. Three minutes later Hawicks centre forward was the next to go down in the box only this time the referee deemed his action worthy of a yellow card taking us to a half time score of

Hawick 2-1 Duns

Duns came out on the offensive with Turner and Rutherford replacing Robinson and Strangeways and from the first attack an Albert defender blocked a goal bound effort. On the hour mark McHoul struck a well taken shot putting the ball just over. Five minutes later Pattenden very cleverly took the ball past two defenders an shot at goal with the keeper saving with his legs. On 72 minutes with another Duns attack Jordan Lauder shot at goal with the keeper again saving.  As Duns attack continued the ever impressive Daniel Pattenden was unceremoniously upended in the box but the referee waved the Dingers claims aside.

Duns were having their best spell of the game at this stage but couldn’t break through for what would have been a fully deserved equaliser. Right until the final minute Duns pressed on with Lauder having the last meaningful attempt at goal. A hugely improved performance from Saturday despite a defeat in this ever increasing fixture schedule that many premier league players and managers would have a right moan about.

Final score Hawick Royal Albert 2-1 Duns

Line up; Robertson J Ainslie Walker McHoul Windram Lee Wemyss Strangeways (Rutherford 45) Lauder Robinson Pattenden

Referee Iain Sneddon

Attendance 37