Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

Gretna 2008 5-2 Duns

DUNS travelled to Gretna for this King Cup first round match with just the bare bones of a squad with only manager Neil Oliver occupying the bench.

However, Mark Weatherburn got the Dingers off to a cracking start when he scored with a superb a free kick from the edge of the Gretna area.

The home side pressed for an equaliser with Dean Armstrong going close but was denied by Duns’ keeper, Scott Lumsden.

Gretna equalised on the half hour mark when Adam McMath fired the ball low past Lumsden.

Michael Stewart cleared off the Duns line from a Dean Rea header but the Dingers conceded a second goal when McMath was first to react to a poor clearance by Lumsden, the big striker rifling the ball into the net from 25 yards.

The game was all square in three minutes into the second half when Weatherburn forced the ball over the line after Gretna keeper Kyle Townsley failed to hold onto the ball in a goalmouth scramble.

After 65 minutes Gretna brought on Tony Nicholson for Armstrong and the impact was immediate as Nicholson fed McMath in behind the Duns defence and he scored from 12 yards, completing his hat-trick.

Joe Slattery then replaced McMath in 77minutes. He broke down the right wing but his cross was headed into the side netting by Nicholson.

The Dingers were limited to any possession in attack, spending more time defending as the home side went looking for more goals.

Slattery linked up with Shiel down the left wing and the young forward cut inside to curl his shot around Lumsden into the net making it 4-2 to the home side.

Making a return after injury was Gretna’s Sergio Royo Ochoa coming on for Rea. The Spaniard was quickly into action knocking a loose ball into the net after Nicholson’s shot had rebounded off the bar.

2 March 2013

King Cup Round 1

Duns: S.Lumsden, R. Burns, A. Renton, M. Stewart, G. Renton, A. Douglas, M. Weatherburn, K. Lee, A. Lauder, D. Leslie, R. Graham. Sub: N.Oliver.

Scorer: Weatherburn 2

Attendance 82