Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

Duns comfortable in Local Derby

Duns were away to Coldstream on Saturday with what turned out to be a very comfortable afternoon for the Dingers.

Duns made 5 changes to the side that beat Kelso last week with manager Brydon handing starts to the returning Dez Chisholm and Michael Stewart, both making their full ‘return’ debuts following putting pen to paper 2 weeks ago along with the young Billy Short who has impressed from the bench in recent weeks, as well as Hutchison & Dixon.

Duns started the game very well with Billy Short and Mo Ponton pressing high allowing Duns to push Coldstream back into their own half.

It was an all round dominant performance from back to front for Duns who quickly went 1 nil up through a great ball by Mo Ponton which was met at the back post by the lively Ross ‘Crouchy’ Hutchison who powered a header past the Coldstream keeper.
Duns continued to knock the ball about well and on 17 mins the very impressive Michael Stewart unleashed a bullet of a shot from 35 yards which struck the underside of the crossbar then down to what looked like over the goal line then back out however the ref was without the handy goal line technology this week to make the right call.

Coldstream rarely threatened Duns’s goal with Chisholm, looking like the year off with injury never occurred, showing his class with some top notch defending and all round play.

On 20 mins Duns were two up, with some poor defending from Coldstream, top scorer Robertson capitalised and finished well past the keeper. Duns weren’t finished yet, as the half came to an end Duns full back Demarco, who was an constant threat down the left made it 3 – 0 to Duns going into the break.

The second half was under way and Coldstream managed to catch Duns cold, against the run of play the Coldstream striker struck a well placed shot from range leaving keeper Dixon no chance.

Changes where then made to the Duns side with both Chisholm and Horne leaving the field through injuries being replaced by ex streamer Andrew Tait and Fraser Bunyan. Duns struggled to regain their passing game yet battled on to again dictate the run of play.

Following some good play down the right from Euan Taylor, who came off the bench to replace Short, the ball was crossed to the back post again for Hutchison who leapt like a salmon from the Tweed for his second headed goal of the afternoon, however his well known Robot dance celebration was nowhere to be seen!

To cap the afternoon off for Duns, Euan Taylor finished the Duns scoring off in style, pulling the ball out of the air with a lovely first touch then lobbing the Coldstream keeper who was caught off his line from almost 40 yards out. 5-1 full-time.

Duns are back to South Cup duties next Saturday with a home tie against Ormiston.

A special mention must go to Duns defender Liam Horne who suffered a nasty knee injury leading to a trip to the BGH. Liam has been outstanding for the Dingers this season!

All of us at the club are wishing ‘Horny’ a very speedy recovery.