Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

Duns 3 – 1 Hawick Legion

It was a top of the table clash at New Hawthorn Park with Duns & Hawick Legion both on 15 points having each had strong starts to the season, both only suffering one defeat to date.

With both teams coming out the blocks quickly it was Duns who got the breakthrough after some good work from Liam Demarco down the left he played in his brother Sean Spoor who cleverly turned the Hawick defender only to be brought down just inside the box, Penalty. Kieran Swinney stepped up for Duns and calmly sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 1-0 after 5 mins.

The Hawick side responded well and began to press further up the field. This lead to a ball over the top being chased down by the Hawick winger. Sean Robertson (Duns Captain and usual striker) who was in goal for Duns due to injuries to both Duns goalkeepers raced off his line to make the save however the Hawick man managed to get a toe to the ball leaving Robertson no choice but to collide with the player resulting in the ref pointing the the spot. Hawick penalty taker sent Robertson the wrong way making it one a piece after 15 mins.

Duns then began to increase their tempo with the midfield of Liddell, Brydon and Swinney starting to get to grips with the game and maintain some good periods of possession.

It was an impressive display from the Duns defence also with the returning experience of Renton and Simpson along with young Liam Horne proving their worth in breaking up Hawick’s attempts to counter attack and limiting Hawick to very few chances if any.

On 35 minutes some more good hold up play from Spoor lead to him playing in Ross Hutchison who continued his impressive goal tally for the season so far by managing to direct a half volley into the far corner of the net. Duns then could smell blood and began to press Hawick deep into their half, this shortly lead tho Hutchison breaking through down the left beating the Hawick defender and playing a lovely ball across the goal to find Bunyan at the back post unmarked however Bunyan was unable to hit the target.

Shortly after this on 44 mins Duns were on the attack again with Bunyan playing in a ball to the unmarked Spoor who smashed the ball low into the net leaving the keeper no chance.
3-1 half time.

The second half was a cagey affair with Duns creating the best of the chances but neither team able to increase their tally. Duns made changes with Euan Feeney , Billy Short , Callum Smith and Euan Taylor all coming on to add some young legs to the Duns attack, all playing their part to insuring Duns secured all 3 points.

Duns go 3 points clear at the top of the table with another great result for the home side.

Duns travel to Carnwath in the South of Scotland Cup next Saturday hoping to continue their form against unknown opposition.