Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

Coldstream 0-3 Duns

On an afternoon when everyone present showed respect for Frenchie Clark, who had played for both clubs, and sadly passed away recently,  a minutes silence was impeccably observed with both teams wearing black arm bands as their mark of respect. Coldstream were flying their St Andrews flag at half mast over the clubhouse.

A six minute spell sealed this King Cup tie for the Dingers at Home Park this afternoon. Despite various weather warnings plus a threatening sky over the Berwickshire town, the promised deluge never materialised. This was only the second ever King Cup tie between the sides at Home Park, the last one being a semi final encounter in 1953.

The first half saw both sides sharing periods of domination with neither side managing to come out on top. Despite this being a derby when traditionally things get rather “meaty” it was not until the 38th minute before referee Hanlon showed his first yellow with Mark Weatherburn being the recipient. Michael Robinson had started in Manager Hudson’s line up after pulling a muscle last week against Burntisland.  He put in a good first half shift but with just five minutes on the clock till the break signalled his discomfort to the bench being replaced by “Junior” Pattenden. Shortly after the teams headed into the clubhouse all level at nil nil.

Out for the second period and the lads in red and black came out the blocks like greyhounds and with barely one second half minute on the clock Jake Rutherford crossed the ball into Jordan Lauder who headed onto Junior Pattenden to despatch into the home sides net, one nil Duns.

Again almost from kick off the ball was played up the park with Luke Strangeways taking control and bringing the ball in from the left before firing home beyond the home keeper, two nil Duns.

Four minutes later and after more Duns pressure the ball was delivered from a corner and big Dougie Brydon rose like a salmon in the nearby Tweed to head beyond the despairing Streamers keeper. Three nil Duns. At this stage the game was over as a contest although to be fair the home side must have been stunned but not giving up.

With 67 minutes gone Carl Hudson withdrew Jake Rutherford replacing him with Jordan Ainslie. Then eight minutes later he made his last change taking of Jordan Lauder for the recently signed Kevin Wemyess who has stepped up from the reserves.

The game was played out in an ever increasing wind to see Duns record a really solid victory and set up a second round home tie in a fortnight with league leaders Leith Athletic.

Line up:- Robertson Weatherburn Walker McHoul D Brydon Chisholm Rutherford (67 Ainslie) Lee Lauder (75 Weymess) Robinson (40 Pattenden)Strangeways

Referee Paul Hanlon

Attendance 81