Print Spot, Berwick
Duns Football Club

4 goal haul see’s Duns advance in Cup

Duns made numerous changes to their starting line up from last week utilising the strength of their young squad and took their second win against Coldstream in just 2 weeks running, this time in the Wright Cup.

Duns booked themselves a Semi Final place with a very comfortable win in a game which was switched to New Hawthorn Park due to Coldstream EOS being at home.

Duns controlled the game from start to finish with Coldstream rarely testing Anderson in the Duns goal, however still posed a slight threat with set plays and with their long balls forward against the run of play.
After a scrappy first half Duns began to get the ball down and play to their strengths which resulted in Coldstream being pinned into their own half. Some solid defending from the again impressive Bunyan and experienced Simpson gave Duns midfield the platform to push higher up the pitch.

Liddell and Patterson began to dictate things and gaps began to open for Duns. Great attacking play from young ‘messi’ Demarco helped in creating a chance for Liddell to head home from 12 yards to open the scoring after 52 mins.

Duns started with two 16 year olds in Billy Short and Demarco down the left hand side and their work rate on and off the ball helped in allowing Captain Robertson break free to tap the ball into the net to put the game beyond Coldstream.
Changes were then made with Duns introducing make shift striker Sean Spoor along with Swinney and Taylor in the 10 min spell that folowed. Spoor instantly made an impact with some good hold up play which allowed Ross Hutchison the chance to play in Robertson for his second and Duns’ 3rd of the afternoon. Duns created plenty more chance and on another day they could have had many more goals.

With 10 mins left in the game Dylan Patterson broke though the defence to be one on one with the Coldstream keeper and calmly slotted home into the bottom corner to cap another impressive display from the newest Duns signing.

In form Liam Horne then replaced Simpson, who picked up a knock late on, and he helped Duns see out a good team performance and clean sheet. Next up for Duns is a trip to Hawick which sees 2nd place Duns take on the league leaders.

Hopefully Duns can take a big crowd up with them next Saturday to cheer on the lads in their promotion push.